Wednesday 14 October 2015

Unusual heraldic charges- 2

The Warspoon

When I was serving the Far Isles Medieval Society as Falcon King of Arms, I was asked to design a new charge to form part of the achievement of Sir Nai Cantrell, Earl of Foresthall, knight of the Golden Oak.

Sir Nai had once defended himself at a revel using only his spoon and wanted a Warspoon on his arms.

I started with the concept of the warhammer and chose a fifteenth century all-steel example.

I then designed the bowl of the spoon to be tear-shaped to give it a sharpened edge.

Finally, I referenced the earl’s Celtic leanings by adding a heart pommel, based on welsh lovespoons. I also felt that this would lend a level of irony to the charge.

The final design would bow be used as a template for any other person wishing to have  a warspoon charged on their arms.


The charge was added to the proposed achievement of arms; the achievement was then passed by a herald, ratified by me (as King of Arms) and added to the Far Isles Roll.

This is what it looks like.



The blazon is : per chevron vert and argent in chief a maltese cross of the second and a warspoon or bowl in chief in base a armoured arm  embowed couped holding a sword proper

Until next time

adieu

No comments:

Post a Comment